Thursday, August 22, 2013

Whispers

As some of you know we started school this week.... we started slowly. We also started some new things this year that I'm really hoping I'm consistent with!

1) NO TV or movies before school!!

2) Eating breakfast at the table together and doing our "Jesus Calling" devotion. Jada likes looking up the verses and I read the devotion. (Last year they ate on the couch while watching a show before school....bad habit)

3) Weekly memory verse!!

And that's what I want to talk about...our memory verse. Once we start all our work next week it will offer us a weekly memory verse but until then I decided to choose one on my own.

2 Timothy 1:7 "For God did not give us a spirit of fear and timidity but of power, love and self-discipline.

What better scripture to begin the year for this crazy mamma?  It was in my bible study last week and I haven't been able to get it off my mind. I can think of a million fears that could and do pop up daily for me and I could back down from everything God's called me to do. I could throw up my hands and wave my white flag but God's given me power!! That gets me SO excited!! I don't have to be fearful of anything I face this day! WOW!!

And Love....boy do I need love and extra doses so I can extend it to others even when I'm not feeling it. Yes, I always love my girls but I sometimes don't want to show it when I'm upset or when they back talk or do that eye roll thang...geeze. I don't want to show them love but I need too. Thank God for all His love when I roll my eyes!!

And.......self discipline...... what's that?

self-dis·ci·pline
noun
  1. 1.
    the ability to control one's feelings and overcome one's weaknesses; the ability to pursue what one thinks is right despite temptations to abandon it

I have a H-A-R-D time with that!! I sometimes don't want to go teach my girls or cook dinner or clean the house or pay the bills or work out...well, I really haven't been working out but I NEED too!! So, self-discipline is moving right along even when we would rather sit on our fanny, scrolling through the social network of your choice and eating cookies, or ice-cream or whatever floats your boat. (I like it all)

So, a couple mornings this week when my alarm went off and I needed to get up and spend time with God but I really wanted to snooze....I did...I snoozed. I didn't even reset my alarm. But, you know the funny thing is God kept whispering this verse to me and I would doze in and out while going over it in my mind. I love that!!! How amazing is God? He didn't allow my bed to fall to get me out of it but he whispered to me! How could I not want to run to his word after that wake up call?

I'm so thankful God uses His word to take hold of my heart....to bend down on one knee,  cup my chin in His gentle hands, look me straight in the eyes and tell me He wants to talk to me that day. He wants to love me and give me power!

Friends, I hope you have His power in your lives!! If not, I'm praying you seek it and find it!!

Jeremiah 29:13 "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

Happy searching!!
Love,
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment