Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Gratitude

Here we are already in November....the month of Gratitude. Social media is flooded with 30 days of thankfulness...including my own page.

There are so many things that fill my heart with gratitude that cause my heart to burst forth with praise to God, I couldn't possibly fit them into one month.

I could have an endless list if I really opened my eyes and my heart to the wonders all around. The smell of fresh brewed coffee when I first open my eyes. The sun reaching through my window to give me a touch of warmth to start my day. The husband who leaves a cup of that fresh brewed coffee on my night stand before he hurries off to work. The bible next to that coffee that speaks life, truth and encouragement into my soul. The hot water in the shower that I take for granted most of the time. The fact my cabinets and fridge are filled with food and our closets with clothes. And all the moments that fill my day until my head hits the pillow and even still, I'm thankful for that soft pillow.

The list could really go on and on cause I can't forget about my feet that carry me to my next destination or my hands that provide love to those around me. Or my eyesight that takes in the beauty of every moment of every day and my ears that are able to hear laughter and shouts of joy but also hear heartache and pain.....and a heart that can deeply feel that pain from others. It beats with excitement or it beats with desire to love others...it beats wanting to reflect our Saviors heart. What about the ability to speak....to choose what to say? Whether it's kindness, gentle, compassionate or in anger, hostility, or from my own brokenness.....it's still amazing we are able to put forth sound and words that display feelings from the deepest part of us.

But there are so many other things I'm thankful for that sometimes I may not feel are blessings in the moment....like teaching my girls. Teaching them math....or letters or patience. Teaching patience is hard cause I'm still learning that too. Teaching math is more than frustrating but it's such an honor to sit with them and see their face light up when they finally understand something that has been so treacherous to accomplish. And then there's teaching them all the things of this world. Teaching them there is still good in the world even when it looks like things are falling apart. Teaching them that true beauty comes from within and not the make-up or clothes we wear or the friends we have. True beauty is a smile and the way we love others. If we encourage and build up those friends....that's true beauty. It's what we give and not what we get.

And, I'm thankful for those moments, laying in bed at night able to tell my girls what it means to give God glory in all we do. To tell them how important it is to be truthful and why we must be obedient....it's more than just getting TV or toys taken away...it's out of love, respect and honor for God. I'm so thankful for these moments I have to teach these girls, so full of life, what it means to put others before ourselves.

Being thankful is all year long....it's everyday. It's in the hurt and the pain. It's in the midst of uncertainty and when our prayers aren't answered the way we wanted them to be. Being thankful is trusting God has a plan in the middle of it all and seeking to be content with every bit of it. It's trusting that there's healing, wisdom and strength on the other side of the dark nights and lonely days.

So, wherever you are and whatever you see look at it differently. God will open your eyes to a new perspective....one that will bring peace and out of it all will flow gratitude.

Here are few more things I'm thankful for~


I'm thankful I can sew, create and bless others with handmade creations!

I'm thankful we have fresh eggs everyday and we have the joy of watching our funny chickens run through our yard.

We can do schoolwork in our jammies

I'm thankful for the opportunity to learn....even though some days it's hard and painful it's worth it!
Hebrews 12:11 "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it."

I can leave encouraging notes for my girls like this one!

We can have cuddly things like this hanging out on our desk.

We have fresh figs which my girls love to eat.

We are privileged to be able to say the Pledge of Allegiance.


I'm more than thankful we can have Jesus written on our wall. We can learn about him through scripture and we can stop math or reading to have a beautiful moment to talk about how wonderful He is!




What are some things you're thankful for this season or in your everyday life?




No comments:

Post a Comment